This course is currently not scheduled on the open calendar, but can be organized on request.Request Course
This course is intended for advanced Word users, who want to master advanced techniques and work methods, and who want to know everything about the use of Word as a word processor.
Participants should have taken the Word Introduction course or have acquired knowledge of the same level through a daily experience with Word as a tool.
Customizing Word as a word processor, and optimizing its use so that the program can become a real work instrument. In this course, a large number of topics from the Introduction course are the subject of automation, to enable the user to execute routine tasks with a minimum of effort. The students will learn how to work with long and complex documents.
Class training with attention for individual guidance. The student can put the possibilities of the programme into practice by means of exercises. Each student disposes of a workstation.
This course is made for people that want to create standard documents as well as long and complex documents.
We start with a brief revision of the techniques learned and practiced in the Introduction course and go on with working with sections, and the possibilities regarding page lay-out, headers and footers and columns.
Standardization is a next important section: we give a lot of attention to styles, templates, forms and fields.
Furthermore, we work with larger documents. We deal with: creating reference lists such as tables of contents, foot- and endnotes, captions, cross references and bookmarks and management of Master- and Subdocuments. We will also look at the use of all kinds of graphical objects in a text document.
This course explains also the use of Word as a Mail-Merge instrument, and the integration of Word with other applications such as Outlook and Access.
Finally, we take a closer look at how several people can collaborate on a single document.
- Refresh of the basic principles
- Text editing
- Format font & paragraph
- Page setup
- Manage files
- Create a template
- Create a new document from a template
- Edit a template
- Link an existing document to a template
- Working with fields
- Insert fields in a document
- Display the contents or the codes of the fields
- Update the fields
- Lock or unlock the fields
- Edit the fields
- Format the fields
- Convert the result of a field in normal text
- Move to a field
- Preview shortcuts when using fields
- Create a form
- Create a "ready to use" form
- Fill in and print a form
- Prepare its placing
- Insert a comment
- Display and edit a comment
- Delete a comment
- Configure the options for the comment windows and for the review window
- Print the comments
- Track changes
- Activate the track changes
- Edit how the changes are displayed
- Follow and automatically save the changes brought by the users
- Accept or reject changes
- Print a document with its changes.
- Compare and merge documents
- Several versions of a same document
- Manually create several versions
- Automatically create several versions
- Read a previous version
- Delete a version
- Protection against changes
- Styles: save formatting
- Create, modify and delete styles
- Exchange styles between documents and/or document templates
- Format sections vs layout of documents
- Goal of the sections
- Headers and footers in documents with or without sections
- Building blocks and Quick Parts
- How to use these new elements
- Working with complex documents
- Table of contents, Index
- Footnotes and endnotes
- Captions and tables of figures
- Subdocuments and main documents
- Mail merge: basic operations
- Basic operations
- Step 1: document choice
- Step 2: open or create a form letter
- Step 3: select the file containing the list of recipients
- Step 4: write the letter
- Step 5: display a preview of the letters
- Step 6: finalize the merge
- Advanced operations
- Envelopes and labels
- Print addresses on envelopes and labels
- Create labels and envelopes formats and use them with mail merge
- Integrated with Outlook
- Outlook contacts as database of recipients
- Merge and send via email
- Envelopes and labels
- Basic operations