Deploying Windows Desktops and Enterprise Applications (MOC 20695)
This course is currently not scheduled on the open calendar, but can be organized on request.Request Course
This five-day course is for IT professionals who deploy, manage, and maintain PCs, devices, and apps across medium, large, and enterprise organizations. Typically, this course’s audience has a desktop-support background, and have worked as Enterprise Desktop Administrators. A significant portion of this audience uses or intends to use several tools, including the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK), System Center Configuration Manager, Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT), and cloud-based services to support assessment, operating system, and application deployment tasks. Additionally, this course is for individuals who are interested in taking the MCSE exam 70-695: Deploying Windows Desktops and Enterprise Applications.
In addition to their professional experience, students who attend this training should already have the following technical knowledge:
- System administrator–level working knowledge of: Networking fundamentals, including common networking protocols, topologies, hardware, media, routing, switching, and addressing.
- Microsoft Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) principles and fundamentals of AD DS management.
- Installation, configuration, and troubleshooting for Windows-based personal computers.
- Basic concepts of Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) security.
- Basic understanding of scripting and Windows PowerShell syntax. Basic understanding of Windows Server roles and services.
Desired: Basic understanding of management tasks using Configuration Manager.
At the end of this course, students will be able to:
- Students will be able to assess the network environment to support operating system and application deployment tasks.
- Students will be able to identify the most appropriate Windows deployment strategy based upon organizational requirements.
- Students will be able to assess Windows 10 application compatibility issues and identify mitigation solutions.
- Students will be able to describe and configure strategies to migrate user state during operating system deployments.
- Students will be able to describe image management and use Windows ADK to prepare and support automated deployment strategies.
- Students will be able to identify solutions to support PXE-initiated and multicast solutions when performing operating system deployment tasks.
- Students will be able to configure an operating system deployment process using the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit.
- Students will be able to configure an operating system deployment strategy using System Center Configuration Manager.
- Students will be able to integrate the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit with Configuration Manager to support operating system deployment procedures.
- Students will be able to deploy Windows 10 using modern deployment techniques such as Windows Autopilot, Windows Configuration Designer, and Configuration Manager Servicing.
- Students will be able to implement volume license activation and configuration settings for client computers.
- Students will be able to customize and deploy Microsoft Office and configure access to Microsoft Store for Business apps.
Classroom training with hands-on exercises
Get expert instruction and hands-on practice deploying personal computers (PCs), devices, and applications by using enterprise-level deployment tools and technologies in this five-day Microsoft Official Course (MOC). This course is for experienced Enterprise Desktop Support technicians who work in a Microsoft Active Directory domain environment that has managed access to the Internet, and who want to expand their role to include managing enterprise PCs and devices.
This course focuses on operating system and application deployment. You will learn the skills that you need to assess, determine, and implement the optimal deployment strategy for Windows devices, desktops, and applications. You also will learn how to evaluate application-compatibility issues by using the Application Compatibility Toolkit (ACT) and how to migrate user states by using the User State Migration Tool (USMT). Additionally, you will learn how to prepare for deployment by using the Windows Assessment and Deployment Toolkit (ADK), and how to support Windows deployment strategies by installing and configuring the Windows Deployment Services server role. You will have an opportunity to compare two deployment methods: lite-touch deployment that utilizes the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) and zero-touch deployment that utilizes the latest version of Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (Configuration Manager). Furthermore, you will learn how to integrate the MDT with Configuration Manager to support operating system deployment procedures. Finally, you will learn how to customize and deploy Microsoft Office 2016 to an enterprise network environment.
This course prepares certification candidates for Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE) Exam 70-695: Deploying Enterprise Apps and Devices. As part of the learning experience, you will perform hands-on exercises in a virtual lab environment. Please note that this course is based on Windows 10 Enterprise Edition, and Windows Server 2012 R2 provides the domain services.
Module 1: Assessing the network environment for supporting operating system and application deployment
This module examines how you can create a deployment strategy by using life-cycle information, deployment tools and technologies, and licensing and activation information. It also explains how to plan and effectively perform preparation tasks for deploying Windows 10 client operating systems.
- Overview of the enterprise desktop life cycle
- Assessing readiness for a desktop deployment by using Configuration Manager
- Assessing deployment readiness by using MAP
Lab : Assessing the network environment for supporting operating system and application deployment
- Collecting hardware and application inventory by using Configuration Manager
- Using MAP to determine infrastructure readiness